SA Royal Commission
The South Australian government is still pushing ahead with its Royal Commission. All we know so far are the terms of reference for the inquiry. They plan on having community consultation meetings in most parts of the basin. The next meeting is on Wednesday 11 April at the Albury Entertainment Centre.
More information found here: https://www.mdbrc.sa.gov.au/community-consultation/register-community-consultation
NSW government is holding community consultation meetings for its Water Reform Action Plan. The next two sessions are: tomorrow at Coomealla Golf Club and Friday at Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s Club.
More information found here: https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/water-reform/consultation
Another organisation, Speak Up, is also having a meeting next week. They are a group of irrigators who talk about water issues. The next meeting is on Friday 13 April at the Moama Bowling Club.
More information found here: http://www.speakup4water.com/single-post/2018/03/26/Uniting-communities-at-water-forum
Murray Irrigation Limited
Murray Irrigation will have an Extraordinary General Meeting on 4 April to seek changes to its constitution. http://www.denipt.com.au/2018/03/20/8587/participation-critical-for-murray-irrigation
Irrigation Australia will have its conference in Sydney in June. https://www.irrigationaustralia.com.au/eventsandnews/2018-ial-conference-exhibition
Water Technologies Grants
The NSW government is offering grants totalling $500 000 to develop technologies that will help ensure compliance with water legislation.
More information here: https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/water-reform/water-pilot-technology-program
- Inquiry into Commonwealth environmental water use is taking written submissions. Closes 12 April. Link
- Federal government is close to buying out the states’ shares in Snowy Hydro for $6 billion. Link
- Lake Mulwala to be lowered by 3.5 m to enable work to be carried out. Link
- New mapping technology is being used to identify suitable areas for irrigated agriculture in Australia’s North. Link
- Great Artesian Basin Sustainability Initiative caps free-flowing bores and upgrades irrigation infrastructure. Funding runs out next year. Link
- Debate over who should get 75 GL of water entitlements earned by the G-MW Connections Project. Link
- G-MW responds to the question of why their tariffs are higher than irrigation schemes in NSW. Link
- G-MW Connections Project has hit two thirds of its water recovery target with two years left to go. Link
- $15 000 fine handed out for deliberately wrecking a Dethridge wheel near Echuca and stealing water. Link
- G-MW’s fees for having a jetty on Lake Mulwala are expected to double. Link
- NSW government outlines the legislative changes it plans to push through to remove ambiguity with water licences. Link
- Murrumbidgee Irrigation is investing $10 million in infrastructure improvements in Yanco. Link
- WaterNSW accepts the Ombudsman’s finding on its inaccurate reporting of compliance actions. Link
- Head of WaterNSW has been seeking an exemption from freedom of information laws with respect to water usage. Link
- Those in the Four Corners investigation last year are now being prosecuted by WaterNSW. Link
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.