SA Royal Commission
The South Australian government has announced it will start its own Royal Commission into water theft allegations. Back in July, ABC’s Four Corners ran a story on a handful of cotton growers breaking the law. The SA government has leapt to it being a systemic problem.
What we know about the proposed investigation:
- SA will not sign off on any changes to the Basin Plan. Link
- Interstate bureaucrats can be forced to give evidence at a Royal Commission in SA.
- Federal government has called it “just another stunt”, but they will cooperate with the investigation. Link
- NSW government will not cooperate. Link
- There is a large gap between the number of compliance officers in NSW and SA. NSW has one per 355 GL and SA has one per 56 GL. Link
Murray Irrigation Limited’s $206 million upgrade
Murray Irrigation Limited is undertaking a huge infrastructure upgrade. The Deni Pastoral Times has an in-depth page with details of the upgrades. Link
- Victorian Liberal-National Coalition announces it will sell Vic’s share of Snowy Hydro if it wins the next election. Link
- Almost 2 000 irrigators are behind on their bills to Goulburn-Murray Water, amounting to almost $12 million. Dairy payments crisis blamed. Link
- Victorian member for Shepparton asks for Basin Plan to be paused while alleged water theft is investigated. Link
- South Australia’s PIRSA wins gold award at the Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Sector Management. Link
- Commonwealth Environmental Water Office sets up local engagement offices, but none for the Goulburn Valley. Link
- More than $100 million in winter works completed this year in the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District. Link
- New type of irrigation pipe made from recycled tyres, developed in Geelong. Link
- Victorian government to set up water advisory panel for G-MW. Link
- Tatura water summit was postponed. Link
- All Murray Irrigation Limited directors agreed to resign for the AGM, which was on Thursday. Link
- Murrumbidgee Irrigation “no confidence” motion defeated. Link
- Goulburn Murray Irrigation District receives $800k from the Victorian government. Link
- Victorian Environmental Water Holder published its annual report. Link
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.