Water Broking World

Let’s help you trade water.

Reasons to trade with WBW:

✓ Large customer base and growing

✓ Transparent market

✓ Low cost

✓ Escrow—your money is safe in Perpetual Trustees trust account

✓ $5 million professional indemnity insurance

✓ Open 24/7, water never sleeps

Popular Pages

Water Broking World is your comprehensive broker and online market for water assets. Water trading isn’t as complicated as you might think and we’ll help you through the process. So if you’re an irrigator or other water licence owner, we will find solutions to your water trading needs.

We organise trades of both surface water and groundwater. Trades can either be temporary, permanent or a medium term lease. We have extensive knowledge of the water industry and stay up to date with the trading rules. This enables customers to trade water to the zone with the best price. In addition to the online platform, we can organise a trade over email, SMS, fax or post.

To stay up to date with the water market, enter your email address to receive your water market guide (once or twice per month).

How to Trade Water

By clicking on these links, you can access the online market for temporary allocation water and listings for permanent water shares (also known as water licences or water entitlements.) Click here to login or register.

Simple Pricing for Temporary Water

We understand that irrigators are only concerned about total price after all fees. That’s why we have very simple pricing. The prices you see on the website are the total price, including all fees, except GST. What you see is what you get!

How does this work? The price is marked up (for sell orders) or marked down (for buy orders) before it’s advertised on the website. This mark up/mark down is how we pay transfer fees and brokerage.

So when you create an order, the price on the form is the amount you receive (for sellers) or the amount you pay (for buyers.) Similarly, if you’re buying from an existing order on the website, the price you see is the amount you receive (for sellers) or the amount you pay (for buyers.)

We trade water to anywhere it can be traded, to get you the best price.

For permanent trades, everything is by negotiation.

About the Water Broking World Exchange

We can trade allocation water to and from almost anywhere in the Murray basin to get you the best price. So if you’re on the Murray, Goulburn, Murrumbidgee Rivers or any other system, including groundwater and supplementary, we can help you trade water. Similarly we organise trades of permanent water shares in your trading zone.

You can submit your orders online through this website or we can do it over email, fax or post the forms out to you. Water Broking World has low brokerage compared to other water brokers in Australia.

For more information about our business, please see the About page or Contact Us.

Brief Overview of the Water Market

The two main types of water rights are water shares and allocation water. Water shares are attached to a licence or entitlement and every water year the licence receives a proportion of the share component as allocation water. Having water shares doesn’t necessarily mean you can extract water, you need allocation water. The water year is the same as the financial year (1 July to 30 June), but there are a few exceptions in Queensland. Authorities start the allocation proportion small and gradually increase the proportion throughout the water year. Allocation announcements from the authorities are made on the first and fifteenth day of the month, or the next business day. You can see the current allocation percentage in the widget on the right. It’s updated as soon as the authorities make an announcement.

There are different classes of water shares based on their priority and as such they receive different allocations. On the water market, the two most traded classes are irrigation general security (NSW) or low reliability (Vic) and irrigation high security (NSW) or high reliability (Vic). In South Australia there isn’t an equivalent of general security water shares. Water shares can only be traded within the one trading zone.

During the water year, allocation water attached to the licence can be traded. It can be used in that water year, traded or in some circumstances it can be carried over to the next water year. The carry over rules vary by trading zone and they’re updated frequently, so please contact us if you need help understanding the rules. Unlike water shares, allocation water can be traded within and between trading zones, so someone at Mannum, SA for instance can sell allocation water to someone at Shepparton, Victoria. There are occasional restrictions on trade between trading zones, due to physical constraints, and the Water Broking World exchange is updated to reflect the new rules as soon as they are in place.